Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Inking.

I've had tattoos on the brain lately.  I guess it doesn't take all too much time after your last tattoo to start brainstorming the next.  My last tattoo didn't take too much thought or any design.  It obviously has a special meaning to me.  I threw around over a few ideas that I wanted this tattoo to symbolize, including BFW.  I eventually decided that I want something that reminds me of a couple of things, 1) that I am free to be happy and 2) my love for travel.  Travel is ridiculously important to me, and I think it can not only change your life but also shape who you are.  I've struggled a lot with being happy in each day, being happy with where I am now.

These two ideas have to embody my new tattoo.  I think it can still reflect some of the qualities I love about BFW as well.  Let's get to the inspiration shall we.


[Placement]

I'm ridiculously obsessed with the placement of this tattoo.  I'm not sure if it looks so cool due to the curving on the words though.  I'm debating placement here, but I'm not sure if I want to save that spot for a quote tattoo.



The arm is a ballsy spot for me based on jobs, etc.  You never know how people are going to view a large/colorful tattoo in a spot anyone can see most of the time.  I just adore this lower, outside arm though.  I also want placement to be somewhere I can always see it.


[The feather]

And I'm obsessed.  This is it.  I know it's not original (and I'm assuming I will have to get an artist to draw it for me), but I love it.  Like really love it.  I did a bit of digging into meanings of feathers.  Feathers can have a variety of meanings and symbolism depending on the outlet.  For example, Native Americans viewed feathers differently than the Egyptians.  The symbolism that struck me the most was a feather's meaning in dreams:
"In dreams feathers mean travel or the ability to move more freely in life."
Yes.  This is it.  It must be a feather.  I also learned that,
"Finding feathers on your path is also symbolic of having a lighter outlook on life or a particulary situation.  When we see feathers in our midst it is considered a message that we need to lighten up, not take things too seriously, and try to find the joy in our situation." 
Perfection. A feather it is.  Now I just need someone to design it....and pick the perfect placement.

2 comments:

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

A feather is perfect! One of mine is on my back/shoulder. Right inside where a tank top covers. It shows in spaghetti straps, or t back, but not a regular tank. I like that I can show it, but easily cover it. Of course....I want ine on my wrist next though...and that'll be impossible to cover!

Anna said...

Ok, this is just getting freaky. For the past 2 months I've been contemplating getting a feather tattoo... WE ARE THE SAME PERSON!

LEAVE ME A NOTE:

Pin It button on image hover