Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's time.

I have been a bit sporadic with my working out and running.  I made a training plan and had a lofty goal of running 8 races this year.  Um, yeah.  I ran none of those races so far.  Stress has caught up with me, and dishing out the race fee of $30+ has been used in better other ways.

Almost exactly a year ago, I made a commitment to run a half marathon.  Five months later, I did it.  It's time to make a new commitment.  I don't want to jump ahead to marathon status.  I want a bit of a change, a challenge.

[via]

TRIATHLON!  This will be a major challenge for me.  Why?  Well I'm not a good swimmer or cyclist.  I don't even own a good bike.  I've been scouring Craigslist for a decent beginner road bike.  I purchased my first modest one-piece swim suit for swimming at the Y.  I'm working on building a training plan.

I am officially beginning the training as of April.  The tri's I'm looking at are in August.  I figure five months is plenty of time to train.  I still have to purchase more gear (because tri's take so much more "equipment" than running).  

Tell me, have you ever done a triathlon?  Any advice?

5 comments:

meghan said...

Yayy! This is awesome! I can't wait to follow your training!! I love the idea of a triathlon and would love to do one some day in the future. For now I'll follow along with your training then you can help me out one day when i decide to do it too! :)

Do you read the blog twenty six and then some? She signed up for full Ironman Arizona and hadn't ever completed a triathlon! I am amazed, and I've enjoyed reading her progress along the way. You should check her out.

Claire Kiefer said...

Wow, that's an incredible goal! My neighbor Leslie does lots of triathlons. I've never even thought about one, because I don't know anything about swimming or cycling really. I'm impressed with you, though, and I'm excited to hear about it!

I've been pretty good about running lately but I need some inspiration for longer runs . . . basically, I need to figure out how to get my mind focused on anything but when I get to stop running! That's what kills me, when I'm counting down the minutes till the run is over. Mind control!!

Anonymous said...

Are you doing a sprint tri?

I've signed up for 2 for this spring/summer and I've never even done one, nor do I have any swimming or biking experience.

I'm doing a group training class that starts in April so hopefully that will calm my nerves.

Can't wait to read about all your training!

Oliviaaa said...

that is soooo awesome!! I'm excited for you!!! And I can't wait to follow you through this journey too.
April (after my vacation) is my starting date for the couch to 5K app... that way I can at least get back into the swing of things with running and rehabbing my darn knee. thanks for the motivating email on that one!!

do_it_ajen said...

Hi! Just found your blog... I'm training for my first tri too and I was looking for buddies! Glad I found your blog!!!

LEAVE ME A NOTE:

Pin It button on image hover