Saturday, April 16, 2011

Leaving in a Soul...

So tomorrow we are leaving in the Kia Soul to road trip to Philly. I couldn't leave without quickly mentioning my gratitude. If you haven't heard, the east coast had a major storm system pass through starting on Friday. I know it passed through Alabama yesterday. It hit NC today.

Wake county (Raleigh) and other surrounding counties have been declared in a state of emergency. Last I heard the death toll was 3 and injuries were at 24 in Wake county. Red Crosses had opened up shelters. This is the first time since 1984 that Raleigh has had such an extreme tornado warning.

D and I lost power around 3ish and watched the storm pass until around 5:30ish. With no power we decided to go meet some friends. We didn't realize how bad, and close to us, the damage was until we drove through downtown.









Pictures honestly can not describe what we saw. We could literally see the path the tornado ripped through. This was only a mile or so from our home. Our home we just bought 3 months ago. I am so grateful for our safety and the fact that we actually did not experience trauma or nervousness due to no damage near our house. I'm grateful for no damages to our home or cars. I'm grateful we still get to go on our vacation tomorrow (we've had a vacation cancelled before due to a ridiculous "act of god" incident). We're very lucky. My heart goes out to all those who have suffered losses, hurt, and damages during this ordeal.


-BlogPress post

5 comments:

justagirlLaura said...

I'm glad to hear you guys are okay! Have a fantastic trip!!

annelise said...

Scary. Glad you guys didn't get hit and can enjoy a good start to your holiday. Yay!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

So glad you guys are ok. Have a great trip!!

meghan said...

Have fun on your trip. I'm glad you're safe and your house was spared the damage.

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

my line of work actually has to do with this so I'm familiar with the devastation though nothing beats seeing it first hand. Wow. Amazing how this can happen and so quickly!!! I'm glad you are still getting to have the vacation you worked for!! and good thoughts of course to those who are negatively affected by it.

LEAVE ME A NOTE:

Pin It button on image hover