Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Call me crazy but...

My goal for 2011 was to run more.  I haven't run another 5k this year, and I've started slacking off running at all.  Boo.  Remember back in February, I talked about starting Jillian's 30 day Shred.  Well I started it alright, and then fell right off that wagon after about three days.  Coincidence or not, I re-started it last Monday and accomplished another 3 days last week before Carrie mentioned the shred today!  I'm not on twitter, but I'm psyched that Carrie has linked facebook with her twitter.  If you're dead to the world like me and don't have twitter, go on her to Carrie's post here, check out her awesome blanket and like her on facebook!  Anyway, I'll be using hers and others motivation to keep up with the shred!

Now this is where I get crazy...I'm thinking about pulling the full monty and begin training for a half marathon.  Um...am I ready?  The half I'm looking at is the Outer Banks Half Marathon in November.


November is a really long time away.  Most of the training schedules I found online (um, the free ones...I'm not ready to dish out money for a training program unless it's with a real person) are for 9-12 weeks.  I found a pretty simple one from here which is 12 weeks long.  It's pretty do-able.  After those 12 weeks, I want to upgrade to this plan from Runners World which is 9 weeks long.  I think I need to do the double duty training since I'm a pretty low/slow beginner.    I'm not nervous about not being able to do it (ok, maybe a little) as much as not following through.  Obviously my biggest exercise issue becomes follow through/motivation.  I still haven't met too many friends here in Raleigh, especially ones who are new/slow runners, and I'm not sure how to find a running buddy.  I don't want to dish out money for a trainer.  How do you maintain your motivation?!


I have been using Lose It on my iPhone and online to track my calories and weight again.  I fell off the wagon just a tad bit last night with some left over Thin Mints, so I didn't weigh myself this morning (and I never do it Monday after I indulge over the weekends).  It's nice keeping track of what I put in again.  I'll weigh in tomorrow and hope to see something good.  D is off touring the east coast without me this week, so it's a lot easier to focus on eating better and drinking less.  I'm worried about getting off track when he comes back (it's so hard to track calories when you eat out).  I'm looking forward to no school in the summer and focusing on my fit-nessss, but I have to look good in this swimsuit before summer officially hits!

[Simple and classic.  Digging all of Antropologie's swimsuits this season!  Check out the fab one pieces too!

3 comments:

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

Cute swim suit!

And good for you for deciding to take the leap and train for a half marathon! I just ran my first half about a month ago and used Hal Higdon's novice plan. I liked the plan--it's very realistic--but if I used it again, I would build in a few recover weeks in between the long runs. Plus I also added a 12 mile run at the end and a taper week. My advice would be to give yourself enough time in your training to tweak things as you need to!

Kristin W said...

I'm glad to hear someone else has used that training plan! I'm hoping that if I start early and use two training plans, I can modify and allow for times when I travel/can't run etc. Thanks for the advice!!

this free bird said...

Kristin on the one hand I'm terrified I won't be able to stick to it, but on the other hand knowing that you're jumping on (and others too) is the best motivation. I think the accountability factor will be good for me b/c I've turned into a starter/stopper and I need to just stick with it.

Hollar girlfriend!! Let's face it...Blanket just keeps on trying to coerce me back to the couch. hahaha!! Thanks for the shout out and let's make it happen.

Yahooooo! ps-but i can't run anywhere. unless there's a sale then look out!

xoxo,
Carrie

LEAVE ME A NOTE:

Pin It button on image hover